Translate this Blogger

Dwaalhaas 2014 Weblog ( Feed ) "elke dag wat nieuws"

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Who was Elisa Day ?

....
m


They call me The Wild Rose
But my name is Elisa Day
Why they call me it I do not know
For my name is Elisa Day


From the first day I saw her I knew she was the one

As she stared in my eyes and smiled

For her lips were the colour of the roses
That grew down the river, all bloody and wild



When he knocked on my door and entered the room

My trembling subsided in his sure embrace

He would be my first man, and with a careful hand
He wiped at the tears that ran down my face



[Chorus]



On the second day I brought her a flower

She was more beautiful than any woman I'd seen

I said, "Do you know where the wild roses grow
So sweet and scarlet and free?"



On the second day he came with a single red rose

He said: "Will you give me your loss and your sorrow?"

I nodded my head, as I lay on the bed
"If I show you the roses will you follow?"



[Chorus]



On the third day he took me to the river

He showed me the roses and we kissed

And the last thing I heard was a muttered word
As he knelt above me with a rock in his fist



On the last day I took her where the wild roses grow

And she lay on the bank, the wind light as a thief

As I kissed her goodbye, I said, "All beauty must die"
And lent down and planted a rose between her teeth


"Where the Wild Roses Grow" is a duet by Australian rock band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and pop singer Kylie Minogue. It is the fifth song and lead single from the band's ninth studio album, Murder Ballads (1996), released on Mute Records. Written by the band's frontman Nick Cave and produced by Tony Cohen and Victor Van Vugt.



The song received a positive reception from music critics and became the band's most successful single worldwide reaching No. 3 in Norway, the top five in Australia, and the top twenty in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany and New Zealand. It also received a limited promotional release in the United States. The song was certified Gold in Germany in 1996 for 250,000 copies sold,[1] despite never reaching the top ten in that country. It charted again at the bottom of the German Top 100 in 2008 because of digital downloads after it was used in a soap opera. "Where the Wild Roses Grow" was also certified Gold in Australia for selling 50,000 copies.[2]
Cave was inspired to write "Where the Wild Roses Grow" after listening to the traditional song, "Down in the Willow Garden",[citation needed] a tale of a man courting a woman and killing her while they are out together. Cave arranged this tale as second of two B-sides, "The Ballad of Robert Moore & Betty Coltrane" / "The Willow Garden", released on the CD-Maxi single version.
Although the song does not feature on a Minogue studio album, it can be found on her compilations Hits+Greatest Hits 1987-1999Ultimate Kylie and The Abbey Road Sessions. Minogue performed a chorus of the song during her Showgirl and Homecomingtours.
It reached number 8 in Triple J's Hottest 100 1995. In 2012, NME Magazine listed the song in the "100 best songs of the 1990s" at number 35.[3]



Minogue, as Elisa Day, is admired, then murdered by Nick Cave's character. The chorus of the song suggests either that she's come to be known as the "Wild Rose" rather than as Elisa Day by people who recall her murder or that her body has never been found, ...and her ghost lingers at the place of the murder, but people, seeing only the roses, talk about them, when Elisa Day believes they talk to, or about, her (e.g., "They call me the Wild Rose; but my name was Elisa Day; why they call me it, I do not know; for my name was Elisa Day"). Cave's character is entranced by Elisa's beauty and hates the idea of its fading, so he kills her in order to preserve the memory of her beauty forever. He visits her home, and becomes obsessed with her. The next day, he brings her a beautiful red rose, then asks her if she'd like to see where such beauty could come from. On the final day, he takes Elisa to the river, where he gives her a farewell kiss, then kills her with a rock. A small rabbit comes to visit her body. He then places her in the river where the wild roses grow, in the pose of Millais' painting Ophelia. A large python courses over her body, symbolising her death. He puts a rose in her mouth, and closes her eyes. The video was shot by director Rocky Schenck.Cave described writing the song:

Where The Wild Roses Grow was written very much with Kylie in mind. I'd wanted to write a song for Kylie for many years. I had a quiet obsession with her for about six years. I wrote several songs for her, none of which I felt was appropriate to give her. It was only when I wrote this song, which is a dialogue between a killer and his victim, that I thought finally I'd written the right song for Kylie to sing. I sent the song to her and she replied the next day.[4]
—Nick Cave, quoted in Molly Meldrum presents 50 years of rock in Australia (2007)
"one of pop music's most violent and distressing lyrics" and "when Kylie Minogue sings these words, there is an innocence to her that makes the horror of this chilling lyric all the more compelling".[5]
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and Kylie Minogue first performed the song publicly on 4 August 1995 in Cork, Republic of Ireland.





If you've enjoyed this message or Art Work on my Daily Art Blog, share this Blogger www.dwaalhaas.nl & www.dwaalhaas.com and spread the message. Thank you for sharing ..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search in This Blog